Friday, August 15, 2008

#8: Trying out RSS Feeds!

What do you I like about RSS and Newsreaders?
I like having a variety of my tastes all in one place. RSS technology reminds me of the "My Favorite Things" song in the musical "Sound of Music" I don't feel so disconnected and ruled by everything I can't control. Here is another piece of the 'pie of life' that I can control.
I have realized how lucky I am to be able to enjoy this technology, and then (as Julie Andrews sings) I don't feel so bad.

Can I find ways to use this technology in my work or personal life?
I think so. Coworkers and friends do send me blogs and other news from time to time via email. Building my own information hub built from my friend's news and blogs can help me stay better connected and help me to learn more about the complex problems around me.

How can libraries use RSS or take advantage of this new technology?
As I librarian, I have become strictly what other people need me to be. I have completely lost touch with who I was/am/could be. Blogs and personal feeds are a way to take back my life. I hope people do incorporate this technology more into their work lives. I need to vent by writing. I need to leave the 'take it or leave it' statements and personal marks that technologies allow. Librarians are stressed and need to vent. We need to express our disapproval of a world that hates and fears us.

No comments: